This place gets its name from Bhar Raj of the region which had Bhadohi as its capital. There are several mounds and old tanks that have been named after the Bhar rulers, a tributary of Kannauj kingdom.
During the rule of Akbar, Bhadohi was made a dastur and included in the sarkar of Allahabad.
By the fifteenth century the Bhar were overpowered by Monas Rajputs with Sagar Rai, and his grandson, Jodh Rai received it as a zamindari sanad (deed) from Mughal Emperor Shah-e-Jahan.
However around 1750 AD due to non-payment of land revenue arrears, Raja Pratap Singh of Pratapgarh, in lieu of his paying the arrears gave the entire pargana to Balwant Singh of Benaras.
Bhadohi in 1911 came under first Maharaja of the newly created princely state of Benares ruled by Maharaja Prabhu Narayan Singh.
Bhadohi was created on 30 June 1994 as the 65th district of the State. It was part of Varanasi district prior to its creation.